Step 1: Decide which Pathway you fall under.
Step 2: Click the corresponding Pathway button below to create/login to your ABRET account.
(1) Neurodiagnostic experience is defined as experience in clinical EEG, EP, or NIOM for a period equivalent to 32 hrs/wk (1664 hrs/yr).
(2) 30 EP/IOM educational hours must be earned through ASET, ASNM, or ACNS and can be earned at any point during the neurodiagnostic experience within the last 5 years. No more than 15 hours may be earned from ASET journal quizzes.
Completion of Documentation Form
1. Cases must have been recorded within the last 5 years, with 10 being recorded within the last 24 months.
2. Clinical EP cases may not be surgical monitoring cases performed in the OR on an anesthetized patient.
3. Documentation forms will be randomly audited which can delay or negate eligibility.
ABRET does not stipulate who the EPs are performed on, whether patients or volunteers. Since EP studies performed on volunteers are not read by a physician, ABRET will require that a clinical neurophysiologist or physician initial a printout of the study signifying that the study was interpretable and waveforms marked correctly. These should be maintained by the candidate until the credential has been awarded.
The R. EP T. credential is awarded for five years. See the options under Recertification.
After 3 unsuccessful attempts to pass the examination within a 2-year timeframe, candidates must wait 6 months and submit an additional 15 hours of Continuing Education before again being eligible to test.
If you do not meet the current requirements, here are some resources to assist you on your career path.
CAAHEP is the largest programmatic accreditor in the health sciences field. In collaboration with its Committees on Accreditation, CAAHEP reviews and accredits over 2000 educational programs in twenty-three (23) health science occupations.
ASET - The Neurodiagnostic Society is the largest national professional association for individuals involved in the study and recording of electrical activity in the brain and nervous system. ASET's mission is to provide leadership, advocacy and professional excellence for members, creating greater awareness of the profession and establishing standards and best practices to ensure quality patient care.
EP candidates may complete the Petition of EP Eligibility Form to petition their eligibility at the time of application if:
- You have had structured of formal training in neurodiagnostics, but have not earned a degree.
- You can substantiate education equivalent to at least an associate's degree (foreign medical degree, or vocational education in healthcare field).
- You have a combination of college credits and medical experience.