Acceptable Continuing Education
It is not ABRET’s goal to require credentialed technologists to spend excessive resources to attend meetings and programs. ABRET’s goal is to make sure technologists maintain their credential by continuing to learn and participating in their field. Here are some ways technologists may earn continuing education hours.
- Any ASET courses or programs (live, online, conference or courses)
- ASET Journal ACE Question and Answers
- Regional meetings and programs that are focused on END
- Programs sponsored by other professional organizations as long as they are relevant to the credential
- In-house activities such as Grand Rounds, Record Review sessions, other presentations as long as they are relevant to the credential
If a session is attended and formal continuing education hours are not awarded, the technologist may count the contact hours (exclude breaks and meal times). These programs are not pre-approved by ABRET. Technologists are expected to seek appropriate continuing education that supports their credential. A record of the content and proof of attendance will be required in the case of an audit. An acceptable record may be a program signed by the presenter or a letter from the presenter or department director.
Technologists should keep documentation of their attendance at programs that are being submitted on the Continuing Education Documentation form in case their form is audited.
Education/Continuing Education that Cannot be Used for Recertification
- College courses
- Education obtained while a student in an END program, accredited or non-accredited
- Hours earned before the credential was awarded
- Courses, lectures and seminars not related to the credential
- Staff, department or informational meetings that do not have the primary purpose/focus of continuing education
Alternatively, technologists may select to retake the written exam rather than submitting continuing education hours. However, technologists not passing the exam will not be able to fall back on submitting continuing education for recertification. The written EEG, EP, CNIM and CLTM exams are offered twice a year. Candidate Handbooks should be downloaded from the ABRET or Professional Testing Corporation website.
Technologists preparing for recertification should log into their ABRET Credential Manager account and view their recertification form pertaining to their credential. Please read the instructions carefully. If an ASET ACE Credit transcript is being submitted, it should be uploaded to the ABRET Recertification form. Recertification documentation may be submitted to the ABRET Executive Office in the year the credential expires, and not more than two years prior to expiration. A renewal will be posted in the online credential verification database and recorded in the official ABRET database. New certificates will be issued prior to end of the year, when the credential is nearing expiration.
This page last updated: January 28, 2013